Tuesday, February 6, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 1


I’ve decided to get back to blogging and what better way to start than with the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge by Amy Johnson Crow. She’s been doing this challenge for the past few years, but I’ve never felt I had the time to join. I’m late in getting started for 2018, but here goes!

Week 1: Start 

When I helped my mother sort through boxes of old pictures in about 1998, I started my journey into family history. I didn’t know it would lead to genealogy at that time because I was interested in the old pictures for an album. My goal was to scan every picture and make an scrapbook of my Grandmomie Eva Nell’s family lines. I don’t remember exactly how many pictures there were, but it was a lot. And surprisingly most were “marked” with name(s). 


Some of the pictures that "started" the hunt for ancestors!

Of course, one thing leads to another. Can you scan and put pictures into a scrapbook without knowing the “who” “what” “when” and “where’s”? I sure couldn’t. The internet was young at this time (or, at least, it was to me). But I found a few genealogy websites. My favorite was Genealogy.com’s Gen Forum. And then there was RootsWeb and Ancestry.

As my mother and I looked through photos over the course of several months, a first cousin (of my mother) joined us one day. Louise was the family genealogist and had been searching the family for years. That’s all I needed to head fast (start) forward into genealogy. A mentor. Someone who was, and is to this day, one of the best genealogists I know.

Pictures. Watch where they can lead you. And start the journey to discover your family. 

Revis











No comments:

Post a Comment