Thursday, January 26, 2023

Treasure Chest Thursday - the KOLP family bible from Ohio and the Kolb-Kulp-Culp family of Pennsylvania

Anyone that knows me well, knows that I love old photos, bibles and other family memorabilia. Old photos of my Grandmomie Dennis-Stuart are what got me started in this addiction called genealogy. 

I used to scope out Ebay regularly hoping to find long lost family bibles or other treasures. I don't spend much time doing that these days.

In 2017, my "cousin-in-love" and fellow Kolb family researcher, Marika, contacted me about a bible that was being sold on Ebay. I checked it out and saw that it was for a KOLP family out of Ohio. Some of the names in the bible I recognized as from our own Dielman KOLB lines out of Skippack, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. I didn't know any of the Kolb-Kulp-Culp families spelled their name "Kolp". 

Long story short is I bought the old German bible. It's been in my safe since 2017. Today I brought the bible out and looked at the family photos. Inside the bible is "The Kulp Family" genealogy for this line. Also included is a copy of the bulletin inviting family members to the Seventy-Second Annual Reunion, Kolb-Kulp-Culp Family, Perkiomen School, Pennsburg, PA, Saturday, August 14, 1999. This is my family in Pennsylvania and I've attended a family reunion there in Skippack. 



The KOLP family name out of the KOLB-KULP-CULP family reminds me of a conversation I had recently with a beginning researcher. The comment was made regarding the spelling of a surname. I told the person to not be stuck on one spelling - example: my STUART's are actually STEWART's out of Augusta County, Virginia back to Scotland and Ireland. 

I didn't know that the KOLP spelling was part of the Kolb-Kulp-Culp family. I'd never seen that variation of the spelling. I'm glad Marika took a look at this bible despite the different spelling because it's a treasure. 

And it's a treasure that I hope can someday be handed back to the KOLP family it belongs to. 



Carey Kolp with dog

Is this your family? If so, please contact me. 

- Revis
 








No comments:

Post a Comment