Thursday, August 4, 2022

Treasure Chest Thursday - Old Things!

 What's a heirloom, really? As I pondered this (yes, I ponder...it's an old saying we said in the red sand area of Texas where I grew up known as the "rolling plains"), I wondered, was it something very old? Was it something special, but rare? Just what does it mean to me? Or to you? 


Merriam-Webster's definition includes: something of special value handed down from one generation to another.

I'm lucky. No, I'm blessed. As I look around my home, I have quite a few "heirlooms". Pieces of furniture that belonged to my family and my husband's family. Paintings. Dishes. Silver set and gold flatware set. Old bible(s). Jewelry. 

Jewelry. 

Not expensive jewelry, but special jewelry. I have a few pieces that belonged to my Mother's mother, my Grandmomie, Eva Nell Stuart (b. 10 Mar 1914-Roby, Fisher County, Texas - d. 11 Jul 1981, Roby, Fisher County, Texas).

What makes this jewelry so special (besides being hers) is that Eva Nell and her family suffered at least two (that I can recall) fires that destroyed their homes and all that was in it. Pictures gone. Furniture gone. Everything lost in the fires. So having anything that was hers is a keepsake and special to my family.

Here's my Grandmomie Eva Nell Stuart Dennis and two of her sisters, Marjorie Stuart McCuistion, and Lucille Stuart Carter. Notice my Grandmomie has a brooch or pin on in this picture. 


L to R: Eva Nell Stuart Dennis, Marjorie "Marge" Allen Stuart
McCuistion and Mamie Lucille Stuart Carter


 And below are the pieces of jewelry I have in my possession that were Eva Nell's. How I would love to talk to her and ask her where she got the pieces.  


1st Picture: Top Left: Bracelet, Brooch. Lower left: Pins
2nd Picture: Closeup of the bracelet

I hope that these pieces will continue to be passed down in my family. But you never know what will happen to them. The trend today is minimalist. Many younger people don't want anything that belonged to older family members. The "china" plates (used only for special occasions back in the day), the flatware (silver), old photo albums and beautiful armoires or buffets are thrown out or given to Goodwill (or other organizations). 

Do you have heirlooms from your family? If not, do you buy old pieces of furniture or jewelry at antique stores or auctions? 

As I look around my house at the things that belonged to my ancestors, I am left with this thought: "Oh, if you could only talk!! What things we might could learn!!"

-Revis 

No comments:

Post a Comment